Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Busy bee


So work has required me to attend events twice in a row this week. Monday was “A Night in Paris” (obviously the organizers aren’t familiar with the Hilton video…). It was a gala put on by the French Gov and Tourist Board to promote interest in Paris. There was plenty of chilled Bollinger and a sit down dinner with live performances, including a can-can dance and an Eres fashion show. I did some backstage on-camera interviews with hair+makeup (btw I saw at least 4 models eating sandwiches!!).

Dinner consisted of lobster to start paired with white wine. Then, steak with mushrooms and veggies and a glass of red. Chocolate cake for dessert. Love the French. I sat at a table with the head of the Lido in Paris (i.e. most famous cabaret in the world). Also sat next to two members of the Cirque de Soleil, which I saw a few weeks ago and actually recognized both guys (one was Brazilian and one Russian-American). It was fabulous dinner conversation. We compared all the great cities of the world..everyone was very worldly and had something to say. I basically interviewed the juggler from the Cirque de Soleil- his performance stole the show! His parents emigrated from the Ukraine and were also performers. He had been pushed into juggling from when he was six and practiced every single day throughout his childhood. He was only 23 but had lived in so many cities, including a stint in Paris where he worked 7 days a week for a year! He told me anyone can be trained to do what they do in the Cirque de Soleil, but I don’t think I could ever do what they do. Unbelievable! The Brazilian guy was cool too, but started flirting with me by the end of the night so I had to make a quick exit.

Swag: YSL perfume: Paris (my fave!), scented candle, Eres catalogue, chocolate, and tourist brochures.

Then last night was the Alex Perry autumn/winter fashion show. The crowd was a funny mix of social Sydney: facelift/gold jewelry/designer bag and 20something/bangs/designer shoes. I interviewed the man of the hour on the red carpet, which was very cool. After that my part was over so I basically just ate passed ordevres (mini cheese burgers, mini sausages, yum) and drank some champers (not my usual Monday and Tuesday routine). It was kind of awkward just eavesdropping on people for an hour before the show started. The collection was alright, but nothing that I would wear unless maybe for horse races or something. It is all a bit stodgy.The ladies check out the collectionAlex Perry autumn/winter 09

Swag: Napoleon Perdis lip-gloss, Estee Lauder Fresh Laundry perfume, chocolate, some hair products.

Going to these events two nights in a row makes me want nothing more than pizza, couch, and a movie tonight.

2 comments:

Stephanie Deutsch said...

You ARE a busy bee! Thanks for the great descriptions of the hard work you're doing. Wish I could see the videos you made...SCD

Anna said...

i will post some very soon!