Thursday, August 28, 2008

Harry's Singapore Chilli Crab

So we’ve established that Mario (my bf) has an exotic and expensive pallet…well, Tuesday night it took us to Harry’s Singapore Chilli Crab (that is how the restaurant spells chili).

Harry’s is very modest on the inside and out. It looked like any place you might find in Chinatown, nothing out of the ordinary. As we walked to our table we passed other patrons feasting on the signature crabs. I had never really seen anything like it. When I think of eating crab I think of newspapers on a picnic table and a pile of little red Chesapeake Bay crabs in the middle. These guys were huge and came in a variety of spicy looking sauces.

I let Mario do the ordering, and he chose the signature Harry’s Singapore Chilli Crab plate. It was a 1.3 kilo mud crab from Queensland, costing $79 a kilo (for ONE crab!). My jaw dropped at the price! But he had the strong conviction it would be worth it.

It was really tastey, but definitely difficult to eat. I kept getting crunchy crab shell in almost every bite. We both enjoyed the challenge- maybe him more than me. The crab meat was delicious. I really liked the sauce, which had some nice bits of meat in it and was great over some white rice.

As we were leaving Mario said the meal might have made his “Top 5” – whatever that is (I know it involves the jamon iberico). At that price I would prefer to splurge on a steak, but I appreciated and enjoyed the meal. Harry's motto is, “Nobody leaves my door unhappy!" and we definitely didnt.

198 Elizabeth Street

No comments: