Monday, August 11, 2008

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times: the 90s


Fashion is always evolving, but it also does a lot of looking back. When the feminist movement began in the 19th century women started dressing in pants- a true example of progressive fashion. Women’s pants have come a long way since then (Chanel’s 1930s trousers, bellbottoms of the ‘70s, today’s super skinnies), and so has fashion in general. Now we are lucky enough to live in the
21st century and when it comes to getting dressed we can draw inspiration from so many decades past, each with their distinct trends.

I think the throwback to past trends gives us the best of both worlds because it allows us to correct the mistakes of the past. Nothing illustrates this point better than the 90s revival happening right now.

Flannel shirts, combat boots, fl orals, neon; they are all having a moment once again. Some say that the 90s was the decade of “anti fashion” as reflected by the grunge movement or even the minimalist looks seen on runways at the time. But fashion certainly doesn’t have to be glamorous to work.

I LOVE Alexander Wang’s fall collection of feminine grunge Each look has masculine elements, but the end result is super sexy. I also like Ann Demeulemeester’s collection, which was definitely rooted in grunge. I love the oversized sweaters, and I covet the combat boots that walked down the runway with almost every look. They are a far from the Doc Martins I had in 6th grade (although those were damn cool too).Alexander Wang Fall 2008

Ann Demeulemeester Fall 2008

Another example of improvement is the floral dresses. Baby doll dresses with matronly floral patterns paired with clunky boots were the look du jour in season two of 90210. Now we are seeing this style again, only the patterns have improved just enough that they don’t look quite so Laura Ashley and the styles are a little more avant guard and a little less 1994. The boot selection has also come quite far, so you can add your own signature to the dress&boots look. Chloe Fall 2008

The 90s zeitgeist extends far beyond fashion. The other day I was sitting with my brothers at the Dubliner (our local pub) and we found ourselves one-upping each other’s knowledge of 90s tunes. Nirvana, the Pumpkins and NIN were obvious choices, but the more we thought about it tunes and lyrics just kept on coming. From the Lemonheads to Better Than Ezra (and a LOT of Everclear inbtwn thanks to Chris), we relived the good old days of WHFS and its grungy glory.

I think this trend speaks to me because it is the first decade that influenced me directly. I was a true part of it. I remember when Kurt Cobain died. I remember the early days of my CD collection: Offspring, Green Day, Mariah Carrey, and so many more classics. I remember ripping Calvin Klein ads out of magazines and sticking them on my wall- my Mom was so disapproving of waify Kate Moss staring at me while I slept. I remember every episode of Saved by the Bell and 90210 (…ok and Full House too).

Below are my 90s icons.


Oh the angst, the grunge, and the immortal hotness....

x

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

i totally remember when Drew Barrymore had that short blonde cut and was in the Guess ads...and Claire Danes in My So Called Life!

Emily Colette Wilkinson said...

Anna K, Remember that plaid dress that Angela Chase used to wear--really sack-like, a pull over? The Gap is selling them. I kid you not: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13658&pid=569994

I think it's a bit soon to be looking back to to 90's--so much of the clothing was soo bad (highwaisted tapered leg jeans) but apparently I am alone. As usual.

Anna said...

but emily, the comeback is a chance to IMPROVE on the mistakes made back then.... take the best parts, leave the worst!